2016 was a helluva year…some good, some not so good. I got knocked around by life a little bit, which made blogging more challenging than ever before. Time and desire to blog on a regular basis ran low for me because other things in my life had to take precedence. I even tried to find another blogger to join My Reading Nook for help, but that didn’t pan out.
I’ve not been secretive about whether it was time to shut down My Reading Nook altogether. Yet just when I’m feeling like, Yup, it’s time to call it quits, someone sends me a message, a tweet or comments on a post with how much they enjoy the blog. So what’s a girl to do…???
Don’t worry, My Reading Nook isn’t going anywhere!
Though this isn’t goodbye, I do feel it’s time to change things up a bit. I’m realizing it’s not exactly reviewing that I’m tired of…more so, I’m feeling like things have become a bit stale ’round these parts.
What can you expect in 2017 from My Reading Nook?
- Fun stuff – Some changes to the layout and look of My Reading Nook are coming. (GIFs are here to stay, though!)
- More Spotlights – Authors, if you (or your newest release) would like to be a spotlight, hit me up!
- More book pimpin’ – Right now, I do a lot of this on Instagram. I’ll continue that, but you’ll see it here too. Expect giveaways, new releases, sales, Teaser Tuesdays and Throwback Thursdays. 🎉 🎉 🎉 Oh yeah 🎉 🎉 🎉 !!
- I will post “mini-reviews” (a few sentences to express my love, like, or dislike for a book) on Goodreads for books that I don’t post a full review here, if you’re looking for recommendations. Btw, if we aren’t friends on Goodreads, we should be! Send me a friend request.
- More from other genres – Romance is not the only genre I read. I love love love memoirs and biographies. I enjoy a heart pounding, plot-twisty mystery or psychological thriller now and then too. Heart wrenching literary fiction really turns my crank all the way up too.
- No more star ratings – I think it’s pretty obvious when I’m in love (or not) with a book. If you absolutely need to know the star rating, check my reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.
- Now comes the sad part. 😢 This was a difficult decision that I’ve waffled with for months. I am officially retiring author review requests. My Reading Nook will no longer accept ARCs. Let me explain…
- Reading for the purpose of reviewing and then writing a thoughtful review takes a lot of time. I don’t like throwing up just any ol’ thang just to say I did it either. For that reason — and others — I’ve not always stood up to my end of the bargain in reviewing ARCs in a timely manner, which I regret. 😔
- Reviewing ARCs comes with certain strings attached to which I no longer want to be accountable. I want to get back to the time when reading/reviewing is a fun past time that I do when the mood strikes. Note: You’ll still see ARC reviews for a while because I have a few (or ten) ARCs in my review queue right now (for reasons…😉 ). No new review requests will be accepted, no exceptions.
Well, that about covers it. I’m looking forward to 2017 and all the books on my TBR list waiting to be read. I hope you’re looking forward to the new year as well and continuing this ride along with me. As always, I extend my sincere THANKS for your support of me and My Reading Nook.